Monday, April 12, 2010

Ciarrán Goes Courtin'


Ciarrán stood on the table, examining my threads and lace tools with a critical eye. "Ah now! Are ye not finished yet?"

"You only asked me 15 minutes ago," was my reply. "What's the rush?"

"I have a plane to catch."

Wondering what the devil the leprechaun was up to, I made a mental note to check the bank balance and went back to the work at hand — tatting a tiny Shamrock bouquet.

Tiny shamrock bouquet - in progress


"And where do you think you are going?" I asked.

"To win the heart of me lady fair!" said Ciarrán.

Thoughts of Finian's Rainbow danced in my head as my shuttle zipped deftly in and out, under and over, making fine, green half-hitches in a regular pattern.

"And who is this lady fair?" I asked.

Ciarrán pointing out his love interest.


"That darlin' girl Blathnaid," said Ciarrán, "She's a fair fine lass, so she is."

Since Blathnaid was the only girl in his class at the training academy, I wasn't surprised. But surely he wasn't the only lad to take a shine to the independent Irish filly?

"So you aim to woo her then?"

Tapping his toe impatiently, Ciarrán said, "Aye, if ye be after finishing me 'trothe bouquet."

Will Ciarrán get on a plane?

Stay tuned for more adventures!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Ciarrán, what an optimist you are. You had better move quickly to plight your troth before Feargal gets to visit Bathnáid. Hope you will not be churlish when Feargal comes to visit you.
    He may be on his way!!

    ReplyDelete